Friday, February 07, 2014

A declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us (Intro to Luke)

I was thinking that I wasn't really satisfied with the way my coverage of the book of Mark ended up. The thing is, it's been my policy in general that when I've covered a topic, rather than going over it again, I prefer to link back to the old post where I covered it in the first place. In general, that's not a bad way of doing things. Except...



When you get to the gospels, you're dealing with essentially the same story told four times over. Yeah, each of the four gospels has its own unique features, but there's a lot of overlap. As a result of that overlap, when I worked my way through the book of Mark (which doesn't have a lot that Matthew doesn't) I ended up having post after post of "I already covered this, let me give a link..." To some extent, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but in another way, it made for rather poor reading.

I've decided that I don't want to do that again, so when I go through the book of Luke (and John as well), I'm going to treat everything as though I'm explaining it for the first time. I just think it will make the posts better, as well as the fact that I assume the majority of my readers are coming here from the SAB, and if they're looking for anything, they want simple answers, not links shunting them off to a variety of other places.

That being said, I'm not going to redo the sections I've already done, so let me just give links to:

John the son of Zacharias (Luke 1:1-25)

But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. (Luke 1:26-80)

Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son (Luke 2:1-20)

All things must be fulfilled which were written in the law (Luke 2:21-52)

No comments: